Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Back Online !

At last my computer is back on track.  Firstly...thank you to everyone that has taken the time to visit my blog and for all the encouraging comments that have been left.  Also thank you for your patience while I have been getting myself (and my computer!) organised.

Since first setting up my site my longarm machine has arrived and I have been busy practicing most nights and weekends.  My lovely niece Rebecca has given me a few of her own creations to work on...as you all know Bec is a beautiful quilter whose work I admire very much so I was a little apprehensive stitching on her work, however I am excited by the outcomes.  The small squares quilt (above) with it's 50's inspired colours and prints ended up with a simple edge to edge swirls stitch which mirrorred the print in one of the blocks. 

The Japanese print quilt inspired me to practice my custom techniques so I picked some of the flower motifs in the prints and the clam shell shapes to highlight the beautiful patchwork design.  I backed this quilt with plain black which really highlights the quilting when the quilt is reversed.  Bec hasn't seen them yet...I hope she likes them! 



I have also photographed a quilt I finished for Bec's mum (my sister in law Barb) which she has been making for Bec...beautiful fabrics/colours and blocks.  I tried to highlight the individual block designs with a floral design that reflected the style of the quilt (kind of Art Deco ish I thought), then filled in the borders with a beautiful feather meander.  Again...check out the back...it's amazing! 










Lastly I finished one of my own which has been in the cupboard waiting to be quilted for 12 months.  This is a simple triangle block design using light and dark tones in some beautiful Moda Autumn colours.  This got an edge to edge autumn leaf design broken with a multi colour leaf pattern in the small frame. 

All are still waiting to be bound but I wanted to share what beautiful pieces they all are.  Hope you enjoy seeing them as much as I have enjoyed working on them.  I will try not to be so slow keeping up to date with my blog, but I can't promise so many pictures next time!   Happy Quilting
Cheers Stephen

3 comments:

  1. Welcome back Stephen, gorgeous quilting happening there, can't wait to see what you do when you stop 'practising'????
    Have a great week,
    Lizzie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW I carn't wait to see them, they all look amazing and you should be proud of your self. Do you want some more to practise on ? I love the Red and Black quilt it looks wonderful and I am not sure if I will send it to Rachale now I think I might have to keep it.
    Big Hugs Bec

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you in a round about way. I'm one of the members of Chooky Blue's stitch-a-long on the Gardener's Journal which sent me to your niece's site this morning. I love the blue and white quilt.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete